Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Sushi !

Okay, so the sad sad truth is that living alone on a fairly small budget with a fairly small stomach means I can't be running around making giant meals all the time. Most of the time dinner is fresh corn on the cob, actually. But sometimes I go all out, and even though these pictures are kinda old (maybe a month ago), I gotta talk about sushi night!

For my first foray into seaweed delights, I wasn't gonna use no stinking recipes! I just chopped up some delicious sushi-ables (avocado, red pepper, match-sticked carrots, cucumber, toasted sesames, marinated tofu, peanuts, sprouts, asparagus and green onion) and went apeshit for a few hours. So. Much. Fun! The sushi pictured on the left is what came out of it, pretty much all of them some variation on a vegetable roll. And I like vegetable rolls! But somehow it was lacking in punch, direction,
zazz.

So I wised up. I actually looked at some recipes for the next batch, notably the PPK sushi recipes, and the amazingly good so good better than sex Mango Salsa Roll!! Seriously, Star and I were moaning and rolling on the floor as the flavour cascaded thru our mouths, juicy and cilantro-y and wonderfully shrimp-free. She liked the mango best, and I was torn between that and the spicy tofu. I do likes spicy.

Check it out! Uramaki-style California Roll! I think that pretty much means all the boys are MINE MINE MINE, and also probably the girls as well.

I dunno how something so simple can be so satisfying, but it's a seriously well-constructed formula - crunchy and creamy and nutty and actually a nice palate cleanser between the stronger flavoured sushis.

(and of course, the best part of making sushi is that it's the perfect excuse to throw a party and stuff yourself silly on uncannily good food) ----->

We even invented a roll (probably just so we could enter the canon of People Who Have Named a Maki Roll). It's got crispy sweet apple, julienned carrot and fresh ginger, and it's actually pretty balanced and satisfying, if I do say so myself!

Bunny Roll

1 cup of sushi rice, seasoned with...
2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
4 sheets of nori

1 large fuji apple, sliced into 1/2 inch rectangles
2 carrots, steamed briefly, then julienned (matchsticked!)
a hunk of fresh ginger, sliced into very thin strips

- roll it all up, eat with good quality soy sauce and wasabi, and then go "wow, it's so refreshing and spicy and sweet" oh yes. : D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey LizÂ!

So happy you left me a comment because that led me to your beautiful new blog !
I feel shame in looking at your sushi though. I have everything to make sushi and have yet to make some.
Yours look absolutely delicious.
(*me thinks it would be terrific potluck food*) ;-)

Thanks for your nice comments and lots of fun with your blog! I'll be adding you to my blogroll later today!

Hope to see you (and find you in the crowd) on the 24!

Anonymous said...

what a feast!!!! I love sushi feasts.

That plate is so cute. is it actually made to fit those sushi?

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

no, it's just a very happy coincidence. I got them at the dollar store, 3 for $1, and they turned out to pretty much BE sushi plates! in 3 funky colours, no less. ^.^

and gaia, what a welcome! thank you so much for your kind words, I'm all pink and fuzzied now. :))))

I should bring sushi, huh? Yep, I should probably do that!

Anonymous said...

Hey !
You did it !
You inspired me to make sushi !
Love it, it's so fun!

Thanks !

Anardana said...

We went out for sushi today- for some reason I just can't get into making it!
Also, I don't know where my dishes are from..